Many may think that going solar or making your apartment energy efficient isn’t worth your time. You’re limited to what you can and can’t do while living in a multifamily building. However, there are plenty of easy and simple steps you can take to create a greener apartment.
- Insulate your windows. With proper insulation you’ll be able to capture natural heat sources like sunlight and cut down your energy bill. Look for air leaks to plug and use heavier curtains. Think pulling on a nice, cozy sweater when you get cold. Use heavier draperies in the winter.
- Use outdoor solar lighting. Even if you have a small balcony, you’ll be able to find items like cool solar lanterns to help add decoration.
- Shower instead of taking a bath. A ten minute shower can use less water than a full bath. Installing a custom showerhead with “low flow” water control can even save you more on your water bill. A custom showerhead will beat both a bath and old, outdated showerhead.
- Change light bulbs. Changing your light bulbs is one of the easiest ways to start saving immediately. CFL bulbs use 75% less electricity than traditional bulbs. Start with replacing your five most frequently used light fixtures.
- Always use lids when cooking: Lids trap heat and you’ll be able to reduce your cooking time, which means cutting down on energy usage.